Saturday 10 October 2009

Minty's broken doughnuts

Hello again :) over a week since my last blog again. Lots of things have happened since then. I blogged last week the day before my interview. Well the interview went really well and I was offered the job pretty much on the spot and they upped the hours to 4 days a week for me. I just had to get my registration sorted. I hadn't originally planned to nurse again so I hadn't re-registered but the lack of jobs has sent me back into my old job again so my registration has gone off to the GDC and now I just have to wait. There are so many things I want to blog about on here. I think I might have to start doing smaller daily blogs to keep up!

I'll move onto the cooking section of my blog for now. Me and Brian fancied some home made soup last weekend and you can't have homemade soup without warm homemade bread so Brian got to work on the veg soup and I made the bread. I used the bread mix again like we used for the pizza dough. Here you can see my bread before baking and Brian's soup mid-cooking








and here's the end result. Both were very yummy :)








I got the random urge last week to start up some volunteering again, Not really sure where it came from but it seemed like a good idea. I had a look on the do-it website (brilliant site) which gave me the idea for helping out at Brownies. I loved Brownies and Guides when I was younger and I love the idea behind it of involving kids in the community and giving them positive roll models. I sent off an email to the area's district leader saying that I'd like to help out ideally on a tuesday or wednesday (Brian's college nights) and I got a phone call the next day. She was really happy I had rung as it turned out she had just heard that a Brownie group in Stalybridge had just let her know it was closing down and it also happens to run on a tuesday night! She was planning on having me go along with another one of her guiders until I was happy to run it. So tuesday night arrived and I went along to the meeting not knowing what to expect. There turned out to be 11 girls in the 7th Stalybridge Brownie group and they are all so lovely. It's currently beeing run by two lovely ladies who have been running it for many years but who are finding they just don't have the time free to commit to it any more. I really loved the evening and they bought some lovely flowers for me which you can see here. They got me the roses and Brian got me the white flowers along with Terry's chocolate orange with popping candy (how amazing!) for getting my job.I have had loads of fun planning things for the Brownies to do next tuesday. It will be diwali next saturday so I have been thinking of games and activities based around that so I'll let you know how it goes.

My next story this week is all about my beloved car minty. I was spending Monday and Tueday at the dental practice observing their way of doing things and on the Tuesday morning I was driving to the practise when there was a horrible clunk under my car and then a nasty scrapping sound. I worked out what the problem was straight away and luckly managed to dragged minty and all his bits back to the house. This picture shows what I found when I got there.Poor old minty :( We also thought there was a hole in the exhaust so we decided to get it all sorted. Brian's friend James works in a tire and exhaust garage and he said we could bring it down so my lovely, manly fiance went and tied my exhaust up with some wire and while he was doing that he found the culprit. Minty had a dodgy doughnut! There are two of these things holding the exhaust up. I'm pretty sure you can work out why mine fell off from this pic.The exhaust fell off again half way to hyde so lovely Brian got out and tied it up again on the road side (isn't he great). James got minty up on the ramp when we got there and gave him two new doughnuts and gave me some spares :) he also had a look at the hole and welded it up for me
and now Minty is better than ever and he didn't charge us a penny! What a lovely man :) James told us there was a quiz on that night at his pub so we decided to pop down there to buy him a pint for doing the work on minty (even though he ended up buying us one in the end!). We weren't intending on staying for the quiz but we sat on a table with a team and really started getting into it and ended up joining in and eventually we won! It was a great quiz night with loads of games like 'what's in the box' and 'quingo' (my favourite) and we ended up getting home after midnight. Thinks its on every thursday so we might be going back again :)

I'm off to plan a bit more for Brownies now so once again I'll leave you with a lovely picture from up North. This weeks is a very local one from Stalybridge itself. I took it standing on the bridge by the post office. It's the river Tame which gives Tameside it's name and I think is very lovely :) bye for now xx

No comments:

Post a Comment